The future is female and Green Terrace CEO, Mbali Nwoko, is living proof of it. The University of Johannesburg and Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) alumni had co-owned a successful recruitment company before deciding to pursue a career in agriculture.
Mbali was introduced to the world of farming by a friend, who revealed all the available opportunities in the agricultural sector. As a budding and determined entrepreneur, she researched the farming industry and registered her own business in 2016. Green Terrace was the fruits of her labour, but there was still the issue of land. After a short period of time, Mbali found a 14-hectare farm in Mapleton, Boksburg, where she was able to grow the grassroots of her business.
Mbali’s determination, entrepreneurial acumen and utilisation of digital technology – such as farming apps – brought her to the attention of the industry as she solidified herself as a major player in agriculture. As a reward for her efforts, she was the Winner of New Entrant into Commercial Farming – Northern Region by the Agricultural Writers SA in 2018.
While she has only been in the industry for a short time, Mbali has already established herself as a modern farmer and a thought leader who has empowered and brought a unique perspective to the agricultural sector. Her brand continues to grow and inspire many, as she builds herself into a mentor for future generations and advocates smart farming.
- Winner of New Entrepreneur Award 2020 – Black Business Quarterly (BBQ Awards)
- Top 100 Influential Young South Africans 2020 – Avance Media
- 100 Most Influential Young Africans 2019 – Africa Youth Awards
- Pan African Award for the Most Influential Women in Business and Government: Country Winner in Agriculture
- Top 100 Young Mandela’s of the Future 2019
- Top 8 Influential Agriculturalist 2019 – National Agricultural Marketing Council (NAMC)
- Columnist for Farmers Weekly Magazine
- Top 100 Women Changing South Africa 2018, Mail and Guardian
- Southern Africa Startup Awards Nominee, 2018
- Winner of New Entrant into Commercial Farming – Northern Region in 2018, Agricultural Writers Association
- Finalist for 702 Small Business Awards with Sage One 2017