After living in Cape Town for 13 years, Alex is now ensconced on 94.7 in Gauteng and is also thoroughly enjoying being back on TV in The Hot Seat. He continues to maintain a busy work schedule incorporating voice-overs, m.c and club dj duties, the hosting of comedy shows, contributing to Me! Magazine, running a recording studio and more. He is married to Fiona, his wife of 17 years and has three children: Elektra (22), Maxine (16) and Connor (13). His recent charity work includes the SA Guide-Dogs for the Blind Association and the Sunflower Fund.
Alex Jay did his primary schooling at Eastleigh Primary School in Edenvale and his high schooling at Potch Boys High in Potchefstroom where he passed Matric with an exemption.
During this time he was a member of the Transvaal Youth Choir, Editor of his school newspaper for two years and ran junior cross-country for Western Transvaal.
After school he went to Wits Tech where he did a diploma in Theatre Technology and extended his studies at the SABC where he completed all the R.A.B audio technology modules offered by them.
After graduating he went on to work professionally as radio DJ, TV presenter, actor and writer. His past work includes:
- Lighting engineer at Academy and Brooke Theatres in JHB,
- Contracted actor for PACT drama company,
- Keyboards and backing vocals in the band ”Tangent.”
- Music column contributor for Rand Daily Mail, Penthouse Magazine.
- Radio engineer/producer at SABC. (Worked on Audiomix, Spitstyd etc.)
- Radio DJ on 702. (1983-86)
- Radio DJ on Radio 5/5FM. (1986-2002)
- Club DJ. (Played everywhere from Jaquelines in Pretoria to Dockside in CT.)
- TV presenter. (Graffitti, Fast Forward, SaturJay Sundae, Looks 2 Live by, AM2Day)
- Voice-over artist. (For a wide variety of clients including Top Billing.)
Alex currently presents the daily Afternoon Drive show on 94.7 Highveld Studio and is the host of SABC3’s new game show The Hot Seat.