Based: Cape Town
Marcel Oudejans has been a professional entertainer for over 10 years. His intuitive ability to entertain & captivate audiences, in combination with his extensive professional experience, has earned him the respect & recognition of his clients & colleagues as a leader in both the entertainment & professional speaking industries.
He is passionate about his work: his energy & enthusiasm are clearly evident both on- & off-stage. His talents & expert skills have lead to him performing for everyday public, high-profile celebrities & large multi-national corporations, from intimate audiences to large-scale broadcast events, for over 20 years. He has had the pleasure of travelling & presenting in every major town in South Africa, & has visited 5 Southern African states, Nairobi (Kenya), London (UK), Los Angeles (USA), Kiev (Ukraine) & Thiruvananthapuram (India).
Not only is Marcel one of the very few full-time magicians in South Africa, but he also embodies that rare combination of both true magical skill & genuine entertainment. Additionally, as an entrepreneur who works mostly for blue-chip corporate clients, Marcel also has a clear understanding of the challenges facing business today – particularly with regards events, experiential marketing & communication strategies.
Marcel received his first magic trick when he was just 8 years old, & discovered his passion for magic & performance. As a teenager, he began to perform professionally for the hospitality industry, starting in family restaurants. By 2000, it was clear that he had sufficient talent & passion to continue on this path & expand his experience. In 2003, after several long-term restaurant engagements, Marcel officially launched his career as a professional magician & speaker.
Besides his long experience as an entertainer, Marcel has spent over 5 years developing & performing keynote talks & presentations that convey his clients’ messages in a fun, personal & engaging manner.
In 2007, Marcel was certified as Africa’s only “Infotainer”: a practitioner in presentation techniques & speaking skills, that combined with engaging entertainment, has consistently proven to deliver positive results for clients worldwide. He received this certification from the internationally-recognised expert in the methodology, Joel Bauer, after receiving personal training from Joel in Los Angeles. This makes him one of a handful of presenters in the world who are able to provide a bespoke & custom-branded performance that can be used for marketing events, training & conferences.
When he is not performing as a magician or speaker, Marcel also forms part of “The Long Shots“, a Cape Town-based Improvised Comedy Troupe. He was a founding member when they formed in 2011, & subsequently the troupe has gained a large following, consistently filling venues at the monthly shows. As the troupe’s Production Manager, Marcel coordinates the event management & communication of their performances.
Marcel was born & has lived in Cape Town, South Africa, almost his entire life. In his former career, he was a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer & provided IT support. Marcel & his wife, Natashia, married in 2005 & have a daughter, Maelle, who was born in 2008.
- Over 10 000 hours of professional performance experience, for over 180 corporate clients, for all types of events and audiences.
- Marcel took an interest in the Art of Magic at age 9 and started performing professionally from age 15.
- Performed at family restaurants until 2001.
- Over 3 years of performing 6 nights per week for “Cubaña” Bellville, where Marcel established his reputation as a talented performer.
- 6 months of performances for “Maestros on the Beach”, Milnerton.
- Over 3 years as the in-house magician for the infamous original “Madame Zingara” and “Cara Lazuli” restaurants in Cape Town.
- Part of the performance crew for the first Cape Town run of “Madame Zingara’s Theatre of Dreams”, 6 nights per week.
- Specially requested to perform for the IBM “100 Club” international sales conference dinner party at the Castle of Good Hope, Cape Town.
- Two VIP performances for international companies, including a presidential dinner, at Polana Hotel, Maputo Mozambique.
- Magic and entertainment performances throughout Southern Africa and Kenya.
- Retained as the hotel magician for Sun International “Zambezi Sun” hotel at Victoria Falls, Zambia, for Christmas and New Year entertainment, 2006 and 2007.
- Performed in London, UK, and part of the “Marvin’s Magic” staff at “Harrods” in Knightbridge in 2004.
- Invited to attend an exclusive conference for ‘Corporate Magicians’ as part of Joel Bauer’s “Infotainment” training, in Lost Angeles, CA. in 2007.
- Visited and performed at the world-famous “Magic Castle” in Hollywood, CA., in 2007.
- International guest performer and lecturer at “Vismayam 2008”, India’s largest ever magic convention. Over 1 000 local and international performers attending this prestigious event in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, hosted by the Magic Academy of Kerala. Marcel lectured on ‘close-up’ magic and performed on stage for over 1 000 people. He was awarded a trophy by the tourism council of Kerala.
- Guest lecturer at the 2009 South African Magic Convention, on the subject of “Magic and Marketing”.
- Currently the youngest registered Professional member of the Professional Speakers Association of Southern Africa, a member of the Global Speakers Federation.
- 2009-2012 Vice-President of the Cape Town Chapter of the PSASA.
- A registered member of the Performing Arts Network of South Africa.
- Committee member, Western Cape branch, Performing Arts Network of South Africa, July 2014 –
- Current serving director of the Upliftment Programme, an PBO providing care and attention to children in hospitals and disadvantaged communities across Southern Africa.
- Founding member of ‘The Long Shots’ Improvised Comedy Troupe.
- Performed in his own shows, “Sleight Of Mouth 1 : The Art Of Talking Your Way Out Of Anything” (2013 & 2015), “Curious Things” (2014), and “Sleight Of Mouth 2: Now Talk Your Way Out Of This!” (2015) at the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown.
- Selected to perform his one-man show, “Sleight of Mouth”, at the inaugural Cape Town Fringe festival in 2014.
- Associate member of SAACI (South African Association for the Conference Industry) since October 2015.